Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Note to Apple: I don't think much of you either


I came across this blurb in the February 22, 2007 issue of Rolling Stone. If you are not a subscriber, go buy this issue...lots of entertaining info in the mag.

"500 Greatest Songs Come Alive

In May, 500 bands will gather in Atlanta to play every tune on ROLLING STONE'S 2004 list of the 500 greatest songs of all time - counting down from "More Than a Feeling" to 'Like a Rolling Stone" over ten nights. The series, which runs May 3rd-12th at Smith's Olde Bar, benefits Songs for Kids Foundation, a nonprofit group that brings musicians to sick children. "Probably every artist in Georgia will be performing" says organizer Josh Rifkind, who has already booked more than 100 acts and is soliciting more at 500songsforkids.org. He hopes to get some of the original performers to play their songs such as Georgia natives R.E.M. and OutKast."

I am not the only music nut case that thinks the 500 is pretty cool. I have the 500 songs as a playlist on my iPod. I created it after being at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland and thinking that the 500 would be cool to have. I was right; it's pretty cool. The process of collecting all the music took a lot longer than I thought and cost much more than I would have guessed. Try finding Dave Clark Five music...it ain't easy. And that was just one of the tough finds. But I really had a lot of fun running them all down. I own a lot of CD's I purchased for one song.

The amount of time and $ put into the project and the rest of the 8000+ songs in my iPod has made me a certified iPod backupaholic. Apple has made my life difficult with the way they limit how you can back up their little music machines. I own all the music in my iPod. I paid for every single song; some multiple times if you count lps, replacement lps, cds, replacement cds, and songs purchased from the iTunes store. I own it not because I am afraid of the copyright police. I own it because I believe that artists should be compensated if I listen to their music. Apple and the rest of those attempting to control how I use MY music are punishing me and those like me because of those that steal music. So, what they are saying to me is that I am not trust worthy. So, what I say to them is that they are idiots. I hope these morons didn't use these same principles to raise their children.

I was seriously considering chasing down the 500 albums of all time...but I'm pretty sure that list does not include Dark Side of The Moon. They lost me there...

My Stats:
My Quit Date is: 2/21/2007 12:00:00 PM
Time Smoke-Free: 6 days, 6 hours, 17 minutes and 30 seconds
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 94
Lifetime Saved: 17 hours
Money Saved:
$15.75

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Argh to DRM! Down with DRM! I'm right there with you. Did you know there are myriad organizations fighting DRM?

(And btw, way to go with the smoking! Do you want to eat to assuage your need for nicotine? Sam and I will be happy to eat with you. We love food.)