Wednesday, March 04, 2009

You've got a friend

Something happened recently that I had some trouble processing.

A business colleague that I hadn't worked with since 1985 or so passed away and I hadn't seen her or talked to her in about 10 years. She was 61 years old and working in Arizona. She apparently contracted some type of terminal cancer. She was not someone that you would call "warm and fuzzy". On first blush,, she seemed cold. I had worked with her for about 10 years at several different firms. I got to know her and, on a personal level, this woman had a great sense of humor once you broke through with her. Flat out, I like her; she made me laugh. Her personal life was somewhat of a shambles; I know she was married and divorced at least 3 times; she never had any children.

When I was informed of her passing, I went online and signed one of those newspaper guestbooks expressing my condolences at her passing and making a point of saying how I appreciated her sense of humor. I never did go back and check the guestbook.

Several weeks later I received a notice that the guestbook was going to be closed unless I wanted to extend it. I clicked through to the guest book and was mortified that mine was the only comment that had been left. I felt an instant pang of hurt for Madeline. Was she really that alone? I hope not. Maybe people just didn't find the guestbook. In any event, it made me a little sad to think that she might have been this alone. May she rest in peace and somehow know that while we were not close, she was my friend and someone that touched my life.

I am so thankful for my friends and family. You should be too.

To all my friends and loved ones, I love you more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's is so sad. I didn't leave a comment because I didn't have any idea who Madeline had for family that would read it. In retrospect, that shouldn't have mattered. Rest in peace, Madeline. I'll never forget your Donald Duck impression or your passion to do things the right way. M.